Thursday, May 26, 2011

Repurposing Old Windows

Here are some ideas of what to do with old windows:

Wallpaper Window

~~Apartment Therapy


Multi-panel Mirror

Multi-paneled mirrors like this piece from Pottery Barn sure look an awful lot like windows anyway, right? For a poor man’s version, why not use the real deal? Take an old window frame that’s crying out for a little face time, and attach small pieces of mirror (or mirrored acrylic) inside the panes. Hang it on your wall, and voilĂ .


Stained Glass Window

Etsy vendor SemperNova, who rescues and reinvents furniture and home decor items destined for the landfill, had a beauty of an idea: Turn a humble old window frame into a stained-glass showcase.


Jewelry Holder

Michigan crafter Catherine Spencer found a window on the side of the road and turned it into a jewelry holder. She screwed a piece of scrap wood across the bottom to create a little shelf for rings, pins, and odd pieces that can’t be hung up.


Display Case

~~My Repurposed Life


Drying rack
What’s the difference between this old window….

… and this drying rack (as seen in Country Living)?

I’ll tell you what’s the difference: You. With a little bit of your love and attention, an old window (and a piece of beadboard) can have a whole new lease on life in your laundry room.

02-20 rg 1.jpg
Doesn't this look cozy!


Picture Frame
Repurpose windows into picture frames - Stefanie Gabrych Fraser
This would look great with black and white pictures!

Garden Decor
[jenniferflowerbox.jpg]
This would look great in my garden!  What a way to accent your beautiful flowers! ~A Well Loved Home

Art
[DSCN4704.jpg]

Keep your eyes open for old windows!  You can find them just about anywhere such as garage sales, on the curb, flea markets or salvage stores.

11 comments:

  1. I love all of these....so simple, yet so elegant and clever. I have a window sitting outside that I got for free at a yard sale last summer. It's time to do something with it! Thanks for sharing these great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last one looks very much like some windows that I saw on a porch in a little town close to us. I am so glad we saved the old windows from our remodel of this old farmhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas. I've passed up a lot of old windows when I'm shopping because I wasn't really sure what to do with them. I'll think twice now!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice inspiration! I have tons of old windows in my house...just plain though...perhaps I'll make something out of some of them! I really like the wallpapered window..probably the easiest one to start out with ; ) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great article thank you! I just picked up an old window at a garage sale but I'm going to leave it as is, it's so pretty! I'm always on the hunt for them :)
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have about ten old windows that have been waiting for me to do something with them! Thank you for all of the great ideas and inspiration!
    Have a wonderful holiday weekend!
    Have a pretty day!
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to try leaving you a comment again... I was here yesterday and blogger wouldn't cooperate so lets see if the tricks a few people left me will work...
    I have a couple of the worlds best people as friends and they are uber creative. She comes up with ideas and he builds them for her. He made her a garden house made entirely out of free salvaged windows and then ran electricity out to it so he could hang her crystal chandys out there! They have moved away from here so she sends pics through email for me to see their latest projects. Did I mention that they are doing these fabulous things and are both in their 70's? AMAZING!!!
    Congrats on winning the giveaway Tricia! Contact me at oldwhitehouse@yahoo.com so we can chat about your winnings and how to get them to you! t. xoxooxoo

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the ideas above. I love old windows and doors and almost as much...love finding them at antique places. My husband had found this lovely pair on a trip and had stored em for several years before we moved into our current home and I found the perfect place for them.
    Take a look...http://bellescottagenest.blogspot.com/2012/07/old-windows-meet-new-home.html
    Thank you for sharing your ideas! Belle

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have made it my mission to educate and inform about these types of projects. This window has lead paint on it. Lead paint emits lead dust. lead dust and lead paint chips can be breathed and eaten by babies and young children without you even knowing. This can cause developmental problems. Please protect your family and get lead out of your house.

    ReplyDelete