Thursday, March 31, 2011

Recycle Materials For Your Landscape

The strong desire to be sustainable has led to an increase in the use of recycled materials in landscape design. Salvaging items and using them as part of your landscaping is a great way to lesson your impact on the environment.

artistic recycled fence
Recycled ceiling tins and scrap corrugated metal were used to create this unique fence.
salvaged doors and windows
A salvaged window finds new life as a garden mirror.

planters made of vintage ceiling tins
Vintage ceiling tins were used to create the planters along the wall, while a reclaimed shipping pallet was used to fashion the tree box.

One of the easiest, and perhaps most fun, forms of upcycling for the garden is turning found items into plant containers. This can be as simple as taking an old wheelbarrow or wagon and adding some soil and plants. Other items that can be repurposed into unique landscape planters include coffee cans, toy dump trucks, antique watering cans, old tires, a free-standing bath tub, a drum, or rain gutters.

Stock Tank Pond
Stock tanks come in a variety of sizes and shapes. This one was used to create a pond full of thriving aquatic plants.   Stock tanks can be found on Craigslist, at farm sales, in your local classifieds or at feed stores.

funky outdoor bar
This funky outdoor bar was created using salvaged corrugated steel.

7 comments:

  1. I really like the look of all of these ideas, Tricia! They look so original and one of a kind...I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way cool ideas, love the first fence! Lezlee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just stumbled upon your blog and I'm so excited! I love these ideas geeeeeeeeeeeeeeez I really wish I were craftier. I started following today, hope you can check out my blog and do the same;) I'm pretty new to blogging and I'm trying to build up some readers;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these ideas!!!! And I'm a new fan/follower! Thanks for visiting Funky Junk=)!
    Love,
    Hollie=)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ps...everything you listed in your profile that make you happy, make me quite happy too!! Love it=)
    Hollie

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! Love the fence - never would have thought of that one!!! Love your blog!!
    XO Traci

    ReplyDelete